How long will it take to petition someone under the age of 21? 3 Answers as of March 06, 2011

I am a permanent resident here in United States for more than 3 years now and I have a child back home in the Philippines he lives with hes auntie that's why I want to asked if I'm going to petition him how long it's going to take? I want to know what is the best way to do to get my child here. I wait for your response thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You have the ability to petition for your son now, and as a minor child he can come once the petition is approved, as under an approved petition for a minor child with derivative status, under follow along status, and once your son attains current status, which will be less than 3 years, he can apply for adjustment of status, while inside the U.S. If you wish further consultation, please feel free to call or e-mail to set up an appointment, either by phone or in person.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/6/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You can petition him now and it will take about 3 to 4 years. You don't say how you got your permanent residence status, but it through a petition that allows derivative beneficiaries, your child could be eligible to immigrant right now. If through another type of petition, example through marriage to a US Citizen, then your US spouse could petition him now if your child was under 18 when you got married and he could be here in 9-12 months. Otherwise, if you are married to the same US Citizen you can file for Naturalization, and once a US Citizen upgrade the I-130 file when you were a permanent resident, and your son, if still under 21 your could be here in a few months.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/2/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If this is your minor child, you can file the I-130 petition for him. When you become a USC, you can upgrade the petition. Then he will be an immediate relative, and if meeting certain requirements, will then be able to immediately do the process. If you are quick that will be about 6 months.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: