How long will it take to get my settlement money? 14 Answers as of May 08, 2015

How many weeks, months, or years should I have to expect?

S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You give too little information to be able to enable anyone to advise you in this matter.
No lawyer unfamiliar with the details of your claim could possibly answer your question. Why not contact the insurer or whoever else it going to make the payment and ask him, her or it? Good Luck.
Chip Wagar
Chip Wagar | Chip Wagar
Louisiana law provides for settlement within 30 days once an agreement has been reached and bound in writing signed by both sides. E mail is considered a legal document just as if it were a letter. An exchange of e mails between you and the insurance company, for example, may be deemed a binding settlement. The clock starts ticking at that point. The failure to do this results in a penalty to the insurance company of 10% of the settlement amount or $5000, whichever is greater.
It takes as long as it takes, it is what it is, and that's the name of that tune.
How can you expect to get an answer when you give us no information as to what you are talking about
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    The insurance company must pay you within 30 days of when the case was settled.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Jon C. Boesen
    Typically you should receive your settlement money within 2-5 business days after you have settled and returned to the insurance carrier a release of your claims against their insured. When you settle is a different question and depends on what the nature of your damages/losses and when the Statute of Limitations runs. The best thing I could advise is that you contact an experienced and competent personal injury lawyer to schedule a free consultation with to determine what your damages are and what you should seek for a settlement amount and when you should begin negotiations for a settlement.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Ask your lawyer or whoever is to pay you.
    Usually about a month.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    That will depend on the facts of the case, how many disputes and who you have settling your case. You should not start the process until you reach maximum medical improvement. Then iit could take months or even years depending on many many factors.
    Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
    This is what I tell my clients: It takes as long as it takes.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    In order to answer your question about the length of time that it will take you to get a settlement, it would be helpful to know all of the facts concerning your case.
    Unless the settlement agreement states when it has to be paid, it is due within a "reasonable" length of time. What constitutes "reasonable" may ultimately be up to the Court to decide. Consult your lawyer if you have one. Good luck.
    Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
    If you have agreed on a settlement amount already, they settling party should tell you when they will mail the check. There is no statutory requirement for when the check is to be mailed, unless this is a workers' compensation claim. If you think you should have received the check already, call the person you settled with. If you have not settled, in the final agreement, make them put in a provision that the check will be sent within a certain number of days from the signing of the agreement.