How long will it take to get my husband to the United States? 9 Answers as of January 06, 2011

I am newly married with my husband. We got married in the Philippines after I went there for a vacation. I am a green card holder. I want to be with him here in USA. How long would it take? What is the fastest way to get him here? I have only lived here (in the USA) for 15 months.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The difficulty you are facing is considerable. The new marriage you have places your husband in the category of 2A, spouses of legal resident aliens. That means, even after you get your I-130 petition approved (which is likely, and takes about 3-5 months), that your husband will have to wait up to three years to be eligible to file for legal residency, which is the second step in the two-step green card application process. You will need to find the State Department Visa Bulletin, which comes out about the 10th of every month, to find what the priority dates are for each category for green card applications. But you cannot get any favor until you start by filing the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. If you want more help, feel free to call or e-mail to set up a phone or in-person consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/6/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You want to file an I-130 immediately and we would be happy to assist you in this process. Contact me at the number below to get this started. This gives him a place in line to get a visa to immigrate. In December these cases were only taking a few months but in January the Visa Bulletin retrogresses by a couple of years. We are hopeful that in February there will be forward movement again. In the meantime you can also explore nonimmigrant options for him to be here while he is waiting for the immigrant visa queue to progress or you to become a U.S. citizen.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/22/2010
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Unfortunately it will take a couple of years because the visa dates are going to fall back next month.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/22/2010
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
Your category faces a backlog of currently 3 years according to the Visa Bulletin for January 2011.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/21/2010
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Please check the visa availability for An I-130 on the visa bulletin. This will give you a better time frame on when you can expect to obtain a visa for your husband. Also, consider visiting an immigration attorney for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/20/2010
    Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
    Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
    You should petition for him, and that would give him a priority date to wait for a visa to become available so he can come to the United States.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/20/2010
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
    It is very tricky. You must bear the burden to prove the bona fides of your marriage. Usually the marriage during vacation is very suspicious to USCIS. so you must be careful with your petition.

    Secondly, if your petition is approvable, the wait time could be roughly 2-3 years.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/20/2010
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    It is going to be awhile. The visa numbers for your category will be retrogressing big time in January. There is no quick fix for this problem. You need to apply for citizenship in about 4 years and then he'll be able to come once you file a petition. Otherwise, you may want to look at some other non-immigrant employment options for him depending on his circumstance.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 12/20/2010
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    In the case of a Green Card holder petitioning their spouse from the Philippines it will take about 2 to 3 years years. It would be much quicker if you are US Citizen, but based on your email you are not eligible for Naturalization for another 3 1/2 years.

    While 2 to 3 years is a long time, it is important that you file the petition as soon as possible, The longer you wait just means the longer it will take your husband to immigrant to the U.S.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/20/2010
Click to View More Answers: