How long will it take to bring my wife from India if I have green card? 10 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I have green card and I got married to an Indian girl last year. So how long it take for me to call here in the USA?

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Since you are a resident it will take about 2 years before there is a visa available. If you can apply to become a citizen that would make the process a lot faster.
I would recommend a consultation before choosing a course of action - this can be scheduled by calling the number below and setting a convenient time. I do charge for consultations $350 per hour - but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if you we are retained thereafter. A PR petitioning directly for a green card for spouse would be in the FB-2a category which is currently working on January 1, 2008. This date changes every month and goes backwards and forwards so not clear whether it will be three years for her to come, longer or shorter. It also depends on when you are eligible for U.S. citizenship as that would then enable you to upgrade the petition to a more favorable category of immediate relative.

If you want her to come sooner you may want to explore various nonimmigrant options as well and some of these require her to show an intent to return to her home country.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Right now the projected waiting time for a wife of a green card holder from India would be roughly 2 years after the I-130 is submitted.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Please look at the Visa Bulletin on the State Department. This will have the visa availability for the countries.
It depends on what service center you apply through. You can check www.uscis.gov. Good luck!
    Since you are Green Card holder it will take 2-3 years for your wife to be able to immigrant to the U.S. as the spouse of a Legal Permanent Resident.
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    The current backlog for spouses of greencard holders is about 3 years. So if you file today, the wait is about 3 years. If you become eligible for citizenship and obtain it, you can bring your wife immediately.
    Being from India, it could be years before your wife gets a visa priority date if you sponsor her application as merely a green card holder. Better to get naturalized citizenship as quickly as you can and then sponsor her and things should move much more quickly in getting her that visa.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    Unfortunately it will take a while as the visa numbers have regressed to a backlog of a couple of years. My suggestion is to file for your citizenship as soon as your are eligible.
    Law Office of Indu Liladhar-Hathi
    Law Office of Indu Liladhar-Hathi | Indu Liladhar-Hathi
    Based on current processing times, it could take about two years to bring your spouse to the US. If in the meantime, you become eligible for naturalization, you should go ahead and file and once you are sworn in, you can always upgrade the petition.