How long will it take to bring my husband over to the US? 11 Answers as of July 02, 2013

I am a green card holder in the USA. Now I'm going to get married. I want to know after I get married. How long it'll take to bring my husband over here? or can start my process for visa before marriage?

LAW OFFICES OF ALAN R. DIAMATNE APLC
LAW OFFICES OF ALAN R. DIAMATNE APLC | Alan R. Diamante
You can apply for fiance visa or marry and start process. The former can take about 6 months and the latter about 1 1/2 years.
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
The wait time for a spouse of a resident is several years.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
The fastest way to have him come quickly is for you to get your citizenship and apply for a K-1 visa for him. The length of time it will take depends on weather you have citizenship or not.
Wildes & Weinberg, P.C. | Leon Wildes
That would be 5 years.
Law Offices of Peter Y. Qiu
Law Offices of Peter Y. Qiu | Peter Y. Qiu
The answer to your first question depends on his country of origin and other factors; and the answer to your second question is generally affirmative for a K visa if you meet the statutory requirements.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    If you have met him in the past two years, you may file K1 visa for him, which is generally faster than immigrant visa process, which may take up to a year.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You cannot start the process before marriage. Filing as permanent resident will take approximately 2 to 3 years. It will be significantly faster when you become a U.S. citizen.
    For the spouse of an LPR it takes about 2-3 years for most countries. Once you are a USC, then the process is about 9-12 months.
    You have to get married first and it is currently taking about 2-3 years for a spouse of a green card holder to be eligible for an immigrant visa. ?Unless you get your us citizenship sooner, in which case it can be converted to an immediate relative petition and then it would be about 6-9 months.
    You must first marry to petition for your spouse. Once you are married, you can file an immigrant visa petition. The petition will take about 8 months to be adjudicated. However, once the petition is approved, your husband will have to wait for an immigrant visa to be available. The U.S. Government currently has visas available for cases filed in July 2009. This is where the longest part of the wait occurs. If you become a U.S. citizen while the case is pending, it will be upgraded and a visa will be immediately available.
    Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
    Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
    How long have you been an LPR?