How long will it take to bring my husband from Vietnam if I am a green card holder in the US? 5 Answers as of February 23, 2011

I have a green card and wanted to get my husband from Vietnam to join me here in the USA. He told me that in Vietnam, there is a rumor that the USA would let people with a green card sponsors a spouse and so I don't need to be a USA citizen to sponsors him over and the time would be 6months to a year only. Is it true? Because I tell him, that I can start the process, but still need a US citizenship for him to come over, but he told me the US immigration law has changed this year. Is that true also?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I would advise you to get a U.S. citizenship if you can. The problem is that, when you get married to him, you have to go back alone, and then petition for him, which after it is approved, your husband would have to wait until his "priority date", which is the date in which you filed, comes up in the order of applications where it is considered "current". Your husband would have the assigned status of category preference 2, which is for spouses of a legal resident, and has a waiting list of at least 3 years. That may change, but that's the situation for now. Getting U.S. citizenship pulls the process to where it can be complete in a year or less. If you want to discuss it more, by all means call or e-mail me to set up an appointment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/23/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
US permanent residents may sponsor their spouses for immigration. There is a waiting list for the immigrant visas. Currently, those with priority dates before January 2007 are receiving visas.

If you file for your husband's green card now, you may be able to become a US citizen before his priority date. Your US citizenship will take him out of the waiting line. He will immediately be eligible for an immigrant visa.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/15/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
The immigration law has not changed and there is no special program that allows Green Holders from Vietnam to bring their spouses quicker to the U.S. than people from other countries. The current time frame to do so is approximately 3 years, which is the same for everyone except people from Mexico (which is 6 years).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/16/2011
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
You can apply for your husband if you are a lawful permanent resident or a US citizen.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/15/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
US Immigration law has always allowed green card holder to sponsor spouses. The wait time varies from time to time. 2 years, more or less, I would say. However, you need to make sure your petition is approvable. If you need help, please let us know.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: