How long will it take to bring my father and stepmother from the Dominican Republic? 4 Answers as of May 23, 2011

How long will it take to bring my father and stepmother from the Dominican Republic? I'm a USA citizen.

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
As for your father, the process should take less than one year to get him his residency. As for your stepmother, the only way you can petition for her is if she and your father married before you were 18 years old. If they married subsequent to that age, then you will not be able to petition for her.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
It takes a few months. If your mom is abroad, you must first file a family petition for her. The current processing time is about 6 months. Then the file will be transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) once the petition is approved. The NVC will collect the visa fee and various documents needed for the interview at the consulate. Once the NVC has all the documents, it will schedule an interview for your mom. In all, it might be around 9 to 12 months to complete the process. If your mom is already in the US, you file a combined package. The package includes the application to adjust status and the family petition. This process takes about 4 months. About your step-father: You can do the same as above for your step-dad only if the marriage between your mother and your step-dad occurred before you turned 18.
If you are a US citizen, you can file the three step consular processing for them. If your stepmother married your father before you were 18, she can come at the same time as he does. If you are organized and current processing times hold, the process will take you about 9-12 months.
File form I-130 for each of them. When that form is approved, then USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center and they will hold it until the visa priority date (date uscis received it) comes up and processing will begin. This process will take years depending on which country they are from. In that time, you can check this link to see where they are on the waiting list: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html. Their category will be F1. No one knows how long this will take. Good luck!