How long will it take to become a permanent citizen when marrying a US citizen? 2 Answers as of March 11, 2011

I would like to know how long does it take to get a permanent citizen if a non immigrant marries a US citizen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
That is a question that has all sorts of potential answers. I'll just take one situation, the straight one. If you came into the USA legally, and then marry a U.S. citizen, you may be able to obtain a legal residency visa within 6 months to a year. After that, you have to be in conditional residency (CR-1) status for 2 years, then within 90 days before that period runs, apply to remove those conditions to become a permanent resident. 3 years after that, you're eligible to apply for naturalized citizenship. If you want the assistance of an attorney, feel free to call or e-mail to set up a consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Currently, it is taking 4 to 6 months from the date the I-130 Petition and Adjustment of Status application is filed to receive an interview in the Southern California area. If approved at the interview you would receive your "Green Card" in about 2-6 weeks.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: