How long will it take to adjust the status of my wife? 3 Answers as of January 05, 2011

My wifes J1 visa expired two months ago. I am wondering how long will it take to adjust her status, and to get her advance travel parole document? Thank you. PS- The j1 visa does not have the two year rule.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Assuming that your wife's J-1 received a waiver from the CIS to be able to stay without returning for a two year period, then she has overstayed, but can adjust status, once you file a successful Petition for Alien Relative. It will take at least a year, counting the time taken to process your Petition and that of your wife's Application to Adjust Status, which is the second step in the process of getting a green card. Under no circumstances is your wife to leave the country, or she will be subject to an immediate 3 or 10 year bar to being able to apply for any immigration visa. She may get advance travel parole, an I-131 application for travel, only once she has filed her application to adjust status, and that will take at least three months to receive, and she would be limited to no more than 90 days to be outside the USA under that I-131. If you have any question, or there is any way I can assist you in applying for your wife's immigration benefit, by all means call or e-mail to set up a consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/5/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
If you are a US citizen It takes approximately 3 months for the petition and adjustment to be adjudicated.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/13/2010
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
It depends on where you are. In South Florida it is about 4 months.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/13/2010
Click to View More Answers: