How long will it take me to be a citizen so that I can petition my mother? 1 Answers as of March 03, 2011

My sister and I immigrated here in August 2003. But in March 2005, I went back to the Philippines to study, I filed for a re-entry permit, then come back here June 2007 for 2 weeks only since I was still studying in the Philippines that time. That time, I file for another re-entry permit. In December 2009 I went back here again, and stayed for 2 weeks again, since I am graduating in the Philippines few months from that. Then I come back here, maybe for good to find a job last November 2010. Now my question is, since I am planning to be a US citizen, can I petition my mother living in the Philippines. How many more years do I need to be an American citizen, does my stay here last 2003-2005 counts or not? Or do I have to count another 5 years of stay here to be qualified to be an American citizen? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You will have to live continuously for at least 30 months, and 2 1/2 years (same amount of time) of the last 5 years in America to qualify to apply for citizenship, after which you can sponsor a parent as a u.s. citizen. If your figures are correct, it will be May 2013 before you can file for her as a citizen's parent. Sincerely,
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: