How long will it take me in California to get a divorce? 14 Answers as of February 11, 2011

Will it take a long time to divorce my husband? How much will it cost?

The Law Offices of Daniel S. Frank
The Law Offices of Daniel S. Frank | Daniel S. Frank
Thank you for your inquiry. At least 6 months and 1 day following service of the pleadings on your husband; the cost will vary depending on the complexity and time spent working on your case. Call our office for free no obligation legal consultation.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
I have completed many divorces within three months when the parties are amicable. Usually, the fee is $2,500.00, not including the filing fees required to be paid to the court. I highly recommend working through the process together to save cost, stress, and aggravation. If you have any further questions, please let me know.
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
It takes 6 months from Respondent making an appearance to receive a Judgment from the Court. Cost varies depending on the amount of work and whether there will be contested issues. If amicable dissolution, then should be a lot less.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
It will take a minimum of 6 months to obtain a divorce in CA. However, if anything is contested in your divorce it could take longer. Costs will vary depending on the firm/attorney you decide to hire. Feel free to contact our office with any further questions.
It takes a minimum of 6 months to obtain a divorce. Cost will vary with the number of problems. $2500.00 is an average.
    A minimum of six months in required in California before single status can be regained. The cost of a divorce depends. If you do it yourself, and both parties file, and you earn too much to qualify for a fee waiver, then the cost, if you do not go to Court and submit a Stipulated Judgment, could be as little as approximately $360 each. If you qualify for a fee waiver, it is possible that it could cost you nothing. If the case is litigated through motions (Order to Show Cause), there is an additional filing fee of approximately $40. Fees vary by County. If you need to hire an attorney, the cost will depend upon how complicated your case is, as that will affect how many hours the Attorney has to spend on your case. Count on laying down at least $2,500 as a retainer against which the Attorney will bill his or her hourly rate (e.g., $250/hour). Contact an experienced Family Law Attorney in your area for a free consultation.
    There is no set time or flat rate for a divorce. I would be happy to meet with you to discuss your specific case and provide more facts specific details. Please contact me for a free consultation.
    It would take a minimum of 6 months after the filed Petition and Summons are served on your spouse for you to get a divorce, assuming that your case is expediently handled and that there are no contested issues. Usually, divorces take upwards of one year, sometimes upwards of two years to complete. It depends upon the issues in the case and their complexity, whether or not the divorce is contested, and how easily and quickly it is resolved. The filing fee for a divorce is currently $395, and attorney's fees are charged hourly. You should meet and consult with a local Family Law Attorney regarding the particulars of your case, to get a better idea of its complexity and the cost to handle your case.
    Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP
    Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP | Hal D. Bartholomew
    In California there is a 6 month waiting period before a couple may be divorced. The six months start running from the date the respondent (the other party) was served with the dissolution papers. It is not automatic at end of the six month period - it merely is the earliest that it could happen as far as become unmarried (restored to the status of single persons). There are actually two parts of a divorce - one is the agreement regarding property, support, custody, etc. aspects of a divorce and the other is to become single. It is possible to become divorced without having resolved any of the issues involved and also possible to have a full agreement approved by the Court and still be waiting to become single.

As far as costs, the current filing fee for each party is $395. The other costs involved are all dependent upon the parties, the divorce process chosen and many other very variable factors.
    Pisarra and Grist
    Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
    A divorce takes a minimum of six months and can be years. It is all dependent on what has to happen in your divorce.

I hope that helps and you can get more information from reading my books, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY and A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY.
    Maclean Chung Law Firm
    Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
    A divorce in California takes a minimum of of six months from the date that your spouse is served with the divorce paperwork. However, a contested divorce can take much longer than that to resolve. As far as how much it will cost, that depends on how contested your case. If both parties agree on how to resolve the divorce and proceed uncontested, it will be far less costly than if you have to litigate the case and take the matter to trial. Our law office offers a free consultation for people considering divorce, and we can give you a more specific estimate of what the cost will be after reviewing your case with you. Most other family law firms offer a similar service.
    It takes 6 months to have your divorce finalized by the court from the date the "respondent," your spouse, is served with the divorce petition. There is an exception to get a "status dissolution" sooner than six months, if a spouse wants to get remarried sooner. Also, even though you have to wait six months to get a judgment of dissolution, that doesn't mean you can't resolve your case sooner. Thus, a divorce can be finalized as soon as the parties can reach agreements. If the parties cannot reach agreement, but need a judge to resolve any disputed issues, then it will take much longer than six months to finalize your case.

As for cost, some lawyers (very few) charge a flat fee. Most lawyers charge by the hour. Thus, the more work it takes to resolve your case, the more it will cost. There is no standard hourly rate. Some lawyers charge around $400 an hour, while others charge half that. How much a lawyer charges is often times not indicative of their skill or experience. Thus, it would behoove you to interview a lawyer before you hire him/her to make sure he/she is adequately skilled in the issues involved in your divorce, and has other traits that you're looking for, such as timely returns phone calls, bills you fairly, doesn't escalate the conflict just to create more work and earn more fees, etc. Good luck!
    It really depends on your case. California has a waiting period of at least 6 months. But almost everything takes longer. The costs also vary depending on your case. Is it simple case? A lot of issues? Custody, etc? All of these can affect the bottom line of your case.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    Everyone is different. Some cases are done quickly and cost less than others. Some, on the other hand, take a long time and cost a lot more. It will come down to who you hire as your attorneys and how quickly you and your spouse can agree to settle. In my office, cases cost anywhere from $1,200 all the way up to over $50,000. The average is somewhere around $8,000 but that may or may not apply to you. Likewise the case can last a month to 2 years, but most are in the 9 month range. Again it simply depends on how quickly you and your spouse can agree to terms of Child Custody, Child Support, Spousal Support, and the division of all your assets/debts.