How long will it take for a permanent resident to fix my papers if he starts the process to become a US citizen as well? 7 Answers as of October 31, 2012

My husband is a permanent resident and he plans on becoming a US citizen to fix my papers at the same time. I've lived here since I was nine years old. When I graduated from high school, I started working with fake papers. Will that affect me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
If you entered the US unlawfully, under the current immigration laws, you will not be able to legalize your status within the US even if your spouse is a US citizen. You would need to go back to your home country to consular process for an immigrant visa but as soon as you depart the US, you will automatically trigger a 10 year bar to reentry, which can only be waived by a showing of extreme hardship to a US citizen spouse, which is usually fairly difficult.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/31/2012
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
You need to consult an experienced immigration attorney about your situation. It would be best for your husband to become a U.S. citizen before petitioning for you as you would not be able to adjust your status if he remains a resident. As for working with fake papers, this could be an issue. It would be in your and your husband's best interest to consult an attorney before filing.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/31/2012
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
It depends in the fake papers and to whom it was given. it an take years to process if the petitioner is a resident. However, once he becomes a citizen it is possible to have a green card between 6 months and a 1 1/2 years depending if you have to process abroad or not.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/31/2012
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
It is unclear as to what you mean by "fix your papers". If you mean that you want to adjust your status to legal documented, then your husband can file the requisite I-130 petition for your benefit once he becomes a US citizen.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/31/2012
SwagatUSA, LLC
SwagatUSA, LLC | Dhenu Savla
That depends on whether or not you entered the United States with a visa. If you did then the process of applying for permanent residence will be in the United States via adjustment of status. This normally takes between eight months to a year after your husband becomes a permanent resident. However the processing times can vary. If you did not enter the United States with the visa the process can vary depending on the specifics of your case. You may be eligible to apply for a waiver Of unlawful presence. The process for applying for a waiver is very complex and requires that an attorney review your case for extreme hardship factors. You also must make sure that you're not barred from applying for unlawful presence waiver. It is a good idea to retain an attorney who knows unlawful presence waivers and has worked with them in the past.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/30/2012
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    I recommend that you consult with a good immigration attorney to completely review your circumstances to see what options you have for a green based on marriage to your husband and other options - deferred action?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/30/2012
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
    If you entered with a visa your husband should be able to sponsor your visa in less than six months once he is a citizen.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 10/30/2012
Click to View More Answers: