How long will it take for me to petition my minor daughter? 5 Answers as of June 15, 2011

I'm an immigrant and I want to ask how long would it take for me to petition my minor daughter and for it to be approved?

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Generally, it takes about 4 years if you are a permanent resident. So, you should definitely apply for naturalization once you are eligible. Best of luck.
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
I'm guessing you are a permanent resident? The time it will take also depends on the country we are dealing with.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
It depends on how you got your greencard. If you got it through employment, you should be able to file an I-824 and bring her a derivative beneficiary. If you got it through family, it depends as well. In some cases you can do the same I-824. In others, you can file the I-130 petition and wait 5 years until she can actually come. It's not the approval that takes a long time, it is the availability of the visa itself which you can monitor at the state department website, just google visa bulletin and the month you are in.
For most countries, DHS is processing cases filed in March 2008. So it's about three years. When you become a USC, then there is no wait time but you can file now and then upgrade later if her priority date is not yet current.
Could be many years unless you're a U.S. citizen.