How long will it take for me to be sponsored? 4 Answers as of April 21, 2011

I am in Guyana I’m 16 years old and my boyfriend in the USA is 22 years old. We communicate thru yahoo or internet. He came to Guyana once since we are dating which is like 20 months now. He is coming to marry me in Guyana and then sponsor me. How long will this take for me to get through? And will I have issues at the interview?

Congratulations! I don't know how long it will take you get here but a good bet is 6 to 12 months assuming you have your parents' consent to marry him. I say that since you are only 16, which is the issue you are going to overcome one way or another. The backlog is different in every category and I don't know whether your boyfriend is a USC, LPR, etc. There are so many variables applicable to your question so that a complete response is impossible. This is all I can think of right now. Good luck!
I would say that you would not succeed. The young man may not bring you into the United States without approval of your parents or guardians until you are at least 18. If you have a formal affidavit by your parents granting that permission to marry and move, then he will need to marry you, and then petition for you under I-130 and for a K-3 visa. If you wish your boyfriend to consult with me, especially before the wedding, have him call or e-mail me for a consultation to be set up.
He must file an I-130.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
What is your hurry? You began this relationship when you were not of age to consent to sexual relations. There is no good reason for a twenty year-old man dating a fourteen year-old girl. You can be certain that would make some "issues" for you at the immigration interview. Although some states permit 16 year-olds to marry, you must be at least eighteen to enter into a binding contract.