How long will it take for me to be a green holder after marrying a US citizen? 5 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I entered the US as a tourist, and changed my status to a student. Me and my boyfriend (US Citizenship) are planning to get married on December. How long will it take for me to become a permanent resident (assuming he will file a petition right after the wedding)?

If you hire competent counsel, then my guess is no more than 6 months; certainly not a year. Otherwise, it is anyone's guess as to how much time a particular mistake on your part in the application process can eat up. A flawless application will often take less than 6 months depending on your jurisdiction. Good luck!
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Processing a green card can take a year or more. It depends on many facts, including the quality of the petition submitted and if there are any complicating factors. Many people do this application on their own and then discover they did not prepare the application well or were not ready for the interview. When the petition is denied and the alien is placed in removal proceedings they wind up hiring a lawyer. You should consult with an attorney prior to filing any paperwork or hire an attorney to prepare the paperwork for you.
That depends on jurisdiction. In SF, it currently takes about three months from filing until interview and then one additional month for full processing.
Congratulations. Depending on the district you reside in, and if there are no complications, it should take only 4-6 months for you to be approved as a US permanent resident. Please review the attached information and contact me for details and a more specific timeline. Thank you.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
Between 6-9 months, you should work with an attorney to streamline the process. For a free consultation feel free to contact my office.