How long will it take for me to be able to move to the US if my husband is already a permanent resident? 4 Answers as of June 02, 2011

My husband is a lawful permanent resident in Texas. I got married in December 2005 but for some reason he is filing my papers now, in 2011. How long is the processing time? I am in Pakistan.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I don't know how long it is going to take. But you will have to look at the USDOS Visa Bulletin from time to time to see where you are in the process. The link there is It is pretty self-explanatory. You will be in category F2A. It works on a 1st come 1st served basis. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Your husband needs to naturalize to speed up the process for your residency. If he doesn't, it will take several years before you can immigrate to the United States.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/31/2011
Shah Peerally Law Group PC
Shah Peerally Law Group PC | Shah Peerally
Your husband can file for the I-130 petition for you and the waiting time is around 2 to 3 years based on the current visa bulletin (note this time can change any moment). Once your husband becomes a US citizen, he can upgrade the petition and you can come faster. Our law firm has handled many cases from Pakistan.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
It takes 3- 4 years. To speed up the process he should apply for his citizenship. In the alternative you may want to look into asylum. Speak to and retain an immigration attorney ASAP. For a free consultation you can contact my office or by filling out the form on my website.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: