How long will it take for I-130 to be processed? 6 Answers as of February 25, 2013

My wife and I have been married since 2004. She filed for I-130 on September 18, 2012. How long will it for the petition to be processed?

Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Processing time for a form I-130 petition depends on several factors not mentioned in your query. It will depend for instance on when the petition was filed, the country of nationality of the beneficiary and more importantly the immigration status of the petitioner. Petitions by US citizens for their foreign husbands for instance are approved within a relatively short period of time while petitions of green card holders for their spouses take considerably longer to adjudicate. It appears your petition was not filed by a lawyer, As such, to ensure that you have a correctly filed petition, speak to an experienced immigration attorney.
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
More information is needed. Are you inside or outside the U. S.? Did you enter the U. S. with a visa? Did you enter the U. S. as a Canadian Citizen. The I-130 is first processed through the USCIS, but visa processing is undertaken with the State Department, where a beneficiary lives outside the U.S. The process may take close to a year, perhaps longer depending upon the situation. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, where there is any confusion or a request for additional evidence.
Calderón, Racine & Derwin PLC
Calderón, Racine & Derwin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
This question depends on what your wifes status is.
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
The timing will depend upon whether you are a US citizen or a permanent resident.
Katz Law Office, LTD. | Christine M. Contreras
Normally an I-130 takes about 5 months to be processed. The waiting time for a visa depends on whether she is a resident or citizen. I am happy to discuss further with you.