How long will I go to jail for grand theft? 6 Answers as of April 26, 2011

I was arrested for attempted theft in California after a guy says he saw me and my truck trying to take a part off of his truck. This is first offense what could happen to me?

If you plea guilty to petty theft you may get an offer for probation only. If you plea guilty to grand theft or you are found guilty. You could get anything from time served and probation or 18 mounts two years or three years.
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
Felony grand theft under California Penal Code Section 487 is punishable by 16 months, or two or three years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine. The only way to truly evaluate what the potential consequences would be in your case requires much more detail. You should immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to thoroughly evaluate your case. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
Theoretically, you could go to prison. In reality, you may serve little if any jail time. The case may even result in only a misdemeanor. All of those depend on the personality (a fact of life) of both the judge and the DA assigned. The total facts in the reports (yours and theirs). Talk to a local criminal attorney.
You need to hire an attorney to assist you. It does not sound like the prosecutor has a strong case but you will need help.
There are too many variables for someone to give you a definitive answer. With a good attorney, there is a good chance that no jail time would be required. It simply depends on the details of the particular case and whether there of any viable defenses as well as your personal history.
    Youll get the answer to that either from a plea bargain with the prosecutor, or from the judge after conviction at trial. No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, facts, evidence, documents, reports, testimony, etc. When charged with a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted, on a misdemeanor, you face up to 6-12 months in jail on each count.

Multiple counts and charges just make your situation worse, of course. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.