How long will I be detained if I turn myself in? 2 Answers as of July 13, 2011

I had a dispute with my GF at the supermarket, I pushed her away she fell and I drove away in her car; she then got picked up by her brother before the police got there. She spoke to an officer over the phone and told them I had pushed her not hitted her, but people called the police they told the police i had hitted her and was told there is a warrant for my arrest. I want to turn myself in and face the situation as we have a baby together for how long will I be detained, I just started a new job and do not want to lose it. Is there anything else I should be aware of before I turn myself in? I am in bigger trouble because I left?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
If you can afford it, I suggest hiring your own attorney before you turn yourself in, and do it ASAP. How long you will be detained will depend upon whether or not you can afford the bail that is set (assuming you're not on probation or parole). I don't want to guess at what you may or may not be charged with for having left.
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
Hello- There is probably a bond set already on your warrant, so if you have a bondsman ready to go, it could be from 2-8 hours depending on where you turn yourself in. Make sure he meets you at the jail.