How long will alimony last? 7 Answers as of June 09, 2014

When alimony was granted in court, the judge didn't specify how long I had to provide. We were married for 4 1/2 years. Should I go back to court to find out the length or will it automatically stop when the period of me paying ends?

Richard Dwyer, APC
Richard Dwyer, APC | Richard Dwyer
You should go back into Court. Temporary support is discretionary. Support post-judgment would be governed by the terms of the judgment.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
It depends on the circumstances. Often it lasts about 1/3rd the length of the marriage. There would have to be a request to terminate.
The Goldberg Legal Group
The Goldberg Legal Group | David Goldberg
The alimony continues until there is a further order by the court. You can expect that the alimony would continue for approximately half the length of the marriage but depending on your and her circumstances it could be less. If either of your situations significantly change you may want to seek a modification. You should consult with an attorney when it is time for the modification.
Unless the order has an end date for payment, it continues indefinitely until you return to court requesting that it terminate.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You need to file for a modification of support.
    Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
    Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
    The court should have given a cutoff date as you are only entitled to spousal support for 1/2 the length of the marriage if it is less than a 10-year marriage, which in your case would be 2.25 years. If there is no mention of it and your ex continues to pay beyond the 2.25 years, but later complains, you may have an argument that he cannot get back what you have spent, relying on the continued support. However, there is a risk that you may need to pay it back beyond 2.25 years, so if you don't really need it by then, you may want to have the court terminate support. Read your Judgment, it should address length of time for support.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    It should stop at half the length of the marriage. However, it will not stop automatically. If you have attorneys, have an agreement and are working on an MSA, then the end date should be in there. If you have no MSA, then the court should give a terminate date when the case goes to trial.