How long is too long to make an injury claim after an accident and why? 12 Answers as of September 30, 2015

I got into an accident about a year ago. I hurt my back and went to the emergency room and was told my back took a huge blow. I've since been to a chiropractor and had X-ray and a MRI done. I'm in the military so I didn't have to pay but I wanted to see what I could be entitled to for pain and suffering. The car had a throttle issue which caused the accident. During the accident the air bag light came on but did not deploy which caused me to injure my head and back. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
In Nevada, and in most states, you have 2 years from the accident. You should hire a lawyer in the state where the accident occurred. If you can prove that the car manufacturer is liable, you should be able to be reimbursed for your medical bills even if you did not pay them, lost wages, any lingering disability and pain and suffering.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/30/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Speak to some attorneys in the local where the accident occurred as to whether you have a product liability case. In California, you normally would have two years to file suit but I do not know what state you are in nor if your being in the military would have any effect [probably not]. That the military paid your medical bills is irrelevant. You are entitled to sue for those bills, any lost income, vehicle damage, pain and suffering, etc. The military might have the right to collect from you the cost of the medical treatment, but that you will have to find out from the military. I have no idea whether the failure of the air bag to deploy was negligence in the accident am whether it caused any parts of your injury.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/16/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
In most states the statute of limitations for negligence is 3 years. Check as to your own state. If you have appropriate insurance coverage, check for the time period within which you must report the accident, which is almost certainly much less than one year. (I mention this in case you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and if that is the case with the other driver.) On the other hand, if the cause of the accident was a problem with your own car which you did not have fixed, then you could well be found more negligent than the other driver, which generally would result in no recovery for you. It is just barely possible that you have a case of products liability that is, that the car's design was unreasonably dangerous. In that case, you really must find a plaintiff's lawyer who specialises in that area. And in general, it would be best to consult a personal injury lawyer who practices in your legality. He or she is best qualified to advise you on these questions. Good Luck
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 9/15/2015
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
Generally it is four years from the time of the accident. It depends on the injury (medical bills) lost of wages and the disability rating.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 9/14/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
2 year statute of limitation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/14/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You typically have two years from the date of injury unless there was a traffic citation then the statute of limitations maybe tolled. You should speak with a Georgia personal injury attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/14/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You have 2 years from the date of the accident to file suit or you will be forever barred. Pain and suffering values vary from case to case and place to place. Consult an experienced injury lawyer. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 9/14/2015
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    You can counsel with an attorney about more facts even after two years, as the statute of limitations for motor vehicle accidents is 3 years.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 9/14/2015
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    Each state has its own statute of limitations. If you wait beyond that date, you are too late.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/14/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    The deadline for filing a lawsuit in Illinois for a car accident is normally two years. However, there are a number of exceptions. Do you know if the police report said that the throttle issue caused the accident?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 9/14/2015
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    If you are in Connecticut you have two years to bring a claim. To ensure you get adequate compensation for pain and suffering and several other categories you should get a lawyer. Insurance companies will pay them far more for the injury since they know a boy or will be able to file suit if the case is not settled.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 9/14/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney