How long should my boyfriend's license be suspended after getting his first DUI? 4 Answers as of June 18, 2015

My boyfriend got a DUI in October of 2014 and it was his first one, however he has previous tickets on his record as well as driving with a suspended license from back in 2009. Recently (January 2011) he was about to start taking the classes to get his license back and he was told from the DMV that he isn't allowed to get it back until 2014. I want to know if this is true or even legitimate considering it was a non aggravated offense and he didn't do the breathalyser and passed all the coordination tests that were done when it occurred. He also was not driving when it happened and was sitting in his car waiting for a ride in a parking lot when a cop noticed the car on. Unfortunately he wasn't able to pay for a lawyer when he went to court and pleaded guilty. I am seeking advice because I believe 5 years license suspension is completely ridiculous for this offense and I need to know what to do. Please help!

IF the DMV told you IT IS TRUE. What you believe is worthless until you go to law school and become a judge or run for state senator and get the laws changed.
First things first: find a lawyer skilled in the subject matter of the criminal complaint. Five years is a very long suspension, suggesting that there are more facts then you know, or than he has told you. But if there are not facts justifying this degree of severity, then your friend will definitely need a lawyer to try to persuade the prosecutor and/or the Court to go much easier.
The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
You did not provide enough information to determine if this is correct. Generally, a person will get either a six month or twelve month license suspension for a DUI, for failing a breath test or refusing. However, if he is convicted of the DUI, then he will be revoked, and won't be eligible for reinstatement for one year. However, if he gets convicted of driving while suspended or revoked, additional time will be added to his suspension/revocation time.
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
He may still need to hire an attorney to file an appeal with the Department of Driver Services, 5 year license suspension is extremely long for someone who has first DUI. I hope for his sake he is no longer on probation and no other run ins with the law. AS there maybe reason other than the first DUI as to why his license is suspended. He can go to the DMV and find out the reason and then work on getting it cleared up. Good luck.