How long should it take an attorney typically to file a chapter 7? 10 Answers as of April 15, 2016

I completed paperwork and paid for chapter 7 five months ago but the attorney still hasn't filed and is now not getting back to me.

Our turn-around time is one week, or less if there's an emergency (e.g., garnishment).
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
That is a very long time.
Timothy Casey Theisen, P.A. | Tim Theisen
It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks, presuming you have gotten them everything. I would recommend an email, and/or letter, detailing their failure to respond, and let them know if they don't get back to you and get the case filed, that you will demand a refund, and contact the lawyer's board.
This is a bad sign. Contact your state bar association. I get them filed within 24 business hours.
A bankruptcy attorney should file the case within a day of completing the paperwork and payment. My guess is you've got an attorney who doesn't usually file bankruptcies and is in over their head. You should leave them this message, "If my file and my payment aren't delivered to me by messenger by 3:00 PM tomorrow, I will file a ethics complaint at 3:30." Then find an actual bankruptcy lawyer and file.
    It should not take more than two weeks after the lawyer gets the information from the debtor for the papers to be ready for review by the client and then filing them. If it is taking much longer without a very good explanation you should talk with the lawyer. Or you could file a complaint with the lawyer disciplinary authority.
    If all the info is provided it takes a few hours to fill in the forms. Keep in mind the entire fee, including filing fee must be paid before the attorney can file.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    If you did your credit counseling, it should not take more than 30/days.
    I can file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in a few hours if I have all the information I need. Or I can take longer than 5 months if I do not have the information I need, which must be updated every month, or if the client is not currently eligible for the benefits s/he wants. Or if the client has done something foolish that would require waiting out in the bomb shelter for the radiation to cool down. Does the attorney regularly handle bankruptcy cases? What do the other clients say in their online review? When you look in the mirror, do you see a client that has been rejected by the attorney for being difficult, uncooperative or rude to the staff? Has the attorney told you why the case has not been filed, but you have refused to listen? There are some bad attorneys, but mostly, the problem is bad communication.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    It should only take a few days to complete a petition. If you cannot get a hold of your attorney I recommend you contact the State Bar. It could be your attorney is no longer doing business and another attorney needs to be assigned to you.