How long should I have to wait for my divorce to finalize? 12 Answers as of June 24, 2015

Will hiring a lawyer to represent me speed up the process? How long does it take to get my divorce finalized?

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Retaining an attorney should speed up the process because the lawyer should know what to prepare and how to prepare it to get everything ready to go into Court quicker and more likely to be approved and then signed by a judge. I know that my office would be able to prepare things expeditiously; but it does depend upon cooperation by the other party and/or his/her attorney.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
If all of the paperwork is in order, a Judge will sign off on the Decree anywhere between 3 days and 2 weeks. If there are problems with the decree and not everything is included; obviously the divorce will take longer and you will be notified what needs to be corrected. If your paperwork is not correct; you might consider consulting with an attorney.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Divorces in Michigan statutorily cannot be granted for 60 days without children and 6 months with children As to how long it takes.. it can take a long time if there are disagreements (about how to split up assets and liabilities) .. however usually they take 6 months to a year.
Asking that question is a bit like asking 'how long is a book?' It depends on many things: the county and state where the case is filed; the disputes which may or may not exist; the congestion of the courts, etc. Lawyers have the benefit of substantial experience in courtrooms and with judges, and may have techniques to speed things along. Not knowing the facts of your case, I cannot suggest any particular motion or action, but a lawyer who becomes fully acquainted with the facts might do so. Good Luck.
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Always better to hire a lawyer.
    Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
    Hiring a lawyer is a good idea. Your divorce process may be slowed because you forgot to file something, eg., an Affidavit of Service.
    The earliest that you can terminate your marital status is six months from the date the petition for divorce was served on the other party. You should know that dividing property, dealing with support, and parenting may take longer. Utilizing the services of an experienced family law attorney can only assist on facilitating a completion of all matters.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Generally a lawyer knows how to get things done. Example: My record was a Final Judgment 2 days after filing.
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    A divorce does not finalize by itself. You need to file the proper paperwork depending upon whether its an uncontested divorce, or if the other spouse has defaulted after proper service. If you already filed all the documents to obtain the judgement, then the court can take up to 10 weeks to review and sign the judgment.
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    Hiring a lawyer will certainly speed up the process assuming that the lawyer is experienced in this field.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    It depends on the problems you encounter along the way. It takes at least 6 month to get a final dissolution.