How long is the process for a US Citizen to petition for their sibling? 4 Answers as of March 16, 2011

I am a US Citizen and I want to petition for my younger sister to get her residence. How long will it take for her to get that? She is 21 years old and has been in the US for 18 years and has done all her schooling here.

When an I-130 petition is filed a Priority Date (PD) is established. When the PD is current the beneficiary of the petition can file for their Green Card through adjustment of status (if in the US and eligible), or apply for an immigrant visa (it outside the US). It will take 12 to 18 years for the PD of a brother/sister of a U.S. Citizen to become current.
Depending on what country she is from, the shortest time it will take her to obtain her green card through you her sister, will be 11 years.
Your case is very interesting. Your sister has been here for 18 years but has not had residence? Is she possibly facing deportation? ... a lot of facts are needed to assess your case. In general, siblings need to wait for over 10 years for approval of petition. Again, there may be factors that allow her to be exception. You are welcome to contact us for a consultation.