How long must I wait between getting my green card and citizenship? 4 Answers as of November 03, 2010

How long should I expect to gain U.S. citizenship?

The waiting time to qualify to petition for U.S. citizenship after receiving permanent legal residency is three years if you were petitioned by a spouse to obtain your green card, it is five years if you received it through other means. If you wish more assistance in this or any related matter, please call or e-mail me to set up an in-person or phone consultation.
It depends on what basis you obtained your green card status. If through marriage to a US citizen, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization 3 years after getting your permanent resident status, assuming you meet all other requirements. If you obtained your green card status through any other means, you must be a permanent resident for 5 years prior to being eligible to apply for naturalization, again, assuming all other requirements have been met.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
If you got your green card through marriage, and you are still married to the same person, you can apply for the green card in 2 years and 9 months after your green card approval.

If you got your green card any other way, you wait 4 years and 9 months from the date of approval.

This is assuming you do not have a criminal record or tax problems.