How long must I pay child support? 6 Answers as of September 20, 2013

I live in Florida. My son is 19 years old and he has down syndrome. His mother gets ss check for him. How long must I pay child support for him.

Law Office of William Stoddard | William Stoddard
Was the child determined a special needs child.? Why has the mother not sought a guardianship and file for the child to receive SSI benefits on his parents account?? If the court ordered support to go beyond the child's 18th birthday, then there had to be findings and a reason.? Support stops when the child is of age and responsible for him/herself.? In your question the child may never be so responsible, but there are ways for the child to have benefits that are not in the form of support.? Review your Child Support Order.
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
The answer would be based upon the laws of the State that issued your support obligations, and not necessarily the State of Florida where you currently reside. Without more information, an answer to your question cannot be provided.
How long does the court order say? That is how long.
Check Fla. child support statute, as well as case law, there is no universal answer to this question. In my jurisdiction R.I. the statute is 18 and have graduated high school, but never beyond the 19th birthday. In the mid 1980s myself and my associate took this issue to our State Supreme Court, the issue was a severely handicapped child had reached 18 and was about to graduate high school, the mother wanted the father to at least help for a few more years, and he refused, the matter was heard by our family court system, I still remember we had one of the most respected jurist on the bench in our State, not just the family court, but the entire judiciary. He was smart enough to know that our statute on this issue was clear and unambiguous, but the issue was also not without merit, so being the smart jurist he was, as well as the political pro he was, he knew the best road was the middle, certify the question to our Supreme Court. The old rule that never fails, "How do you get rid of a serious problem", "You make it someone else's problem, if you can" Our court stated that although our statute seemed clear (he we go, "seemed") every once and awhile the court must dig well below the surface to see if the intent of the law allowed for expansion when the facts so dictated. The answer, Yes, in cases such as the one before this court, and they went on to state that in extreme cases of disability the court may expand the duration of the support payments up to the individuals 21st birthday, but never beyond for any reason.
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
In Utah, the law is that typically a parent pays child support until the child reaches the age of majority or graduates from high school whichever event occurs last, and in the event of a child with special needs Utah law allows child support to be award until the child reaches the age of 21 years of age.