How long is a life sentence? 5 Answers as of April 10, 2012

How long is a life sentence? Does it vary depending on the state? How long is it for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut?

Lutwin & Lutwin, LLP | Joel M. Lutwin
It could be for the life of the person
I do not know about NJ and Conn but they are probably the same as NY which is that a life sentence is for the natural life of a person , unless the sentenced gets reduced or he gets out on parole. Usually the person has a hearing with the parole board and they determine whether to release him from prison. Some life sentences ar without the possibility of parole- the sentencing documents would state this.
You can be sentenced to life without parole or 25 to life and be eligible for parole after serving a portion of that sentence if you do not lose your "good time". The parole board might release you if you have been reformed in prison.
Raiser & Kenniff, PC
Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
A life sentence is for your entire life unless it is indeterminate. For example 18 to life. I. That case your minimum term is 18 years and the max amount of time for you to be incarcerated is your entire life.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
For the rest of the person's life