How long it would take for me to legalize my wife and what would the cost be? 8 Answers as of October 07, 2014

My wife has filed her paperwork to become a resident since 1995, and has been on the waiting list. She has never left the country and has never been in trouble. I am US born individual, and wanted to see how long it would take for me to legalize her and what the cost would be?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
What process has she been waiting for? Did she enter the US lawfully or unlawfully? And what has been filed on her behalf or by her thus far?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/7/2014
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
It sounds like you are doing something wrong. In Houston and San Antonio, for spouses eligible for adjustment, it takes just 2-4 months to get the green card. You should come see me so I can see what you have been doing wrong.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/15/2014
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
If you filed an I-130 visa petition for your wife, that should have been approved within 6 months. If she entered the US without inspection, she cannot adjust in the US and must go home for an immigrant visa. When she can reenter the US will depend on many factors and that is probably why she is still waiting.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 9/12/2014
HAN LAW GROUP, Immigration Attorneys
HAN LAW GROUP, Immigration Attorneys | Susan S. Han
Assuming she is eligible to file for her green card in the US based on her marriage to a US citizen, the whole process should take less than 6 months.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/12/2014
Law Offices of N.J. SAEH PC | Noel J. Saleh
I can only assume your wife is from the Philippines; as that is the only family based visa category backed up beyond 1995. Assumimg your wife entered legally (even if she is now out of status) there is no impediment 5 to your filing a combined I-130/I-485 application for resident status. She would receive work authorization within 90 days and depending on what state you live in, she could receive her "greencard" within 6 months to 1 year.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/12/2014
    Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
    Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
    Much will depend on how she entered the US and what forms were previously filed on her behalf. Knowing this will determine what needs to be done and how much it would cost.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 9/12/2014
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    More specific information is needed about your wife's immigration history to make a thorough assessment. However, assuming she is eligible to adjust status under INA 245(i) or entered with a valid visa, the process will take about 6 to 8 months. Costs will vary depending upon more information.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/12/2014
    Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
    Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
    You could file a petition for her along with an application to adjust her status to permanent resident and an application for employment authorization. And, since you are a USC there are no caps to visas that can be issued annually, which means that the while process should take between 6-8 months. We charge 1.2K, plus filing fees. The filing fee for the petition is $420.00 and for the application to adjust $1070.00. There is no fee for the employment authorization application because it will be filed along with the other two. Hope this helps.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 9/12/2014
Click to View More Answers: