How long is the I-130 petition process? 3 Answers as of May 06, 2011

My husband filed an i130 in the US for me. How long after the approval of the i130 will I be able to reunite with him?

Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If your husband is an American citizen, the petition should be approved in about 6 months. Add a few more months (2 to 4) for consular processing. If your husband is a legal permanent resident, it might be about 4 years.
You will be able to reunite immediately upon approval.
How long is anyone's guess. When your visa is approved, USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center for processing. You will have to wait until the priority date (the date USCIS received the I-130 application) of the visa becomes available. It takes some time depending on your preference category, but what you want to do is check the USDOS's visa bulletin at this address: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5424.html. Your petition will be in the family category 1 through 4 for your country (either 1 of the 4 listed or the 2nd column from left). Ultimately, when your visa becomes available(or about 1 year before that), the NVC will contact your husband and the processing will begin. Good luck!