How long for a battery charge for a juvenile? 14 Answers as of October 08, 2012

I was in school. I went up to a girl, smacked her on the butt and said "Hey". I did this to another girl too. I know both of the girls and we hang out all the time. A teacher saw it and made the girls write a report on what happened because our school has a zero touching policy. I was suspended for two days because that's the minimum suspension period. The girls said they know me but just the fact I did it I was suspended. My principal said both of the parents could press charges of battery. Would it be two counts of the charge? How long for each charge, I've seen answers saying, "the judge decides" but a rough estimate for cases like these how long would it be for each count?

Unfortunately It depends on the judge and the facts is about all you will get.
Hoskins & Associates, P.C. | Nichole Hoskins
Yes there would be a count for each time you hit somebody. Third, it is up to the judge, but you should know that once somebody is under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court - they can continue to supervise you until you are 21 years old! Keep your hands to yourself from now on.
You will not be going to jail, that is for certain. ?This will be settled in a station adjustment or in juvenile court, with you on a short period of probation or supervision, which will not be a permanent mark on any criminal record.
There is no chance that a minor is going to get a jail sentence for a first offense in New York state, or most states for such conduct. It could have been charged as a sexual abuse which is much more serious than a harassment or assault. If it is a battery I assume it is not a New York case, but no matter what state and what judge you are not looking at a jail sentence or a criminal record. It will be dismissed or you will be given Youthful Offender Treatment.
Actually, given where you smacked them, it could be charged as a felony sex offense. The actual time you may face depends on your other juvenile history. If the cops are called, you must remain silent. Don't talk to anyone about this situation other than your attorney. You have no duty to cooperate with the police or answer any questions. Keep quiet. In this day and age, you need to think before you act. Touching any private part on another person is asking for a prison sentence unless it is consensual. I might add that the age of consent in Washington is 16. Having sex with anyone under 16 is a felony sex offense. Be smart and keep your hands to your self and keep your mouth shut. I would also pray that these girls' parents forget all about this and that the cops don't get called.
    Not likely to face charges, but don't do it again.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    If this is your first offense, there should be no jail time.
    I would need further information to answer, but if you do get charged you should hire an attorney to try to negotiate a favorable plea bargain. You may be able to get an ACOD- adjournment in contemplation of dismissal- which means it is not a guilty plea, the case is adjourned, usually for 6 months, and if you do not get into further trouble in that time, the case will be automatically dismissed without having to appear on the adjourned date.
    Law Office of Stephen Barker | Stephen Barker
    90 days would usually be the maximium but, in this scenario, a juvenile court would probably "warn and dismiss"
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Probably no jail time at all. This is not the type of situation that would even come close to severe punishment by jailing someone.
    Rudolph A. Serra, Attorney
    Rudolph A. Serra, Attorney | Rudolph A. Serra
    Most minor charges ["misdemeanors"] such as battery carry a maximum of 93 days in jail and $500 fine. Any unauthorized touching is considered battery. As a practical matter, although the judge will tell you the maximum sentence - under the circumstances you described a term of probation is more likely. Since you have already been suspended and no one was injured, the parents may not ask for criminal charges at all.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You may get probation and counseling and a permanent record.
    October 5, 2012. If you are a male this could be a sexual assault and could possibly trigger the sexual offender statutes and you sure don't want to be in that situation. Otherwise, you have committed an assualt or possibly you could be charged with harassment.? You could be facing up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $500.00 for each separate offense.? Please note that the courts, as well as the schools, have a no tolerence policy for this conduct as well.
    If the parents pursue the charges, you will probably be looking at 3 years on probation in Juvenile Court (if you are under 17). I suspect that your real problem is IF you are 17 or older, and they call the touching a sexual battery, which will require registering as a sex offender.