how long does a worker's compensation last? 9 Answers as of March 06, 2013

I was injured at work and have been on worker’s compensation since 2003 and never got a lawyer. How long will they be able to keep me on worker’s compensation?

As long as you are unable to engage in any gainful employment. They may force you to apply for Social Security Disability, and if you are granted it, they will reduce your comp payments by the amount you receive from SSD.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Theoretically you can receive benefits for the rest of you life, but unless you are permanently and totally disabled you won't. I would have to know more about the benefits you're receiving to be able to express an opinion as to how long I think you'll receive benefits. You really should get a lawyer. Maybe you can help me with a situation at my house. I think there are termites eating the floor joists between the main floor and the upper level. Up till now I've not been worried about it since we live mostly on the main level. Do you think I should have an exterminator look at it. I really don't want to spend the money.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
Usually the period is controlled by statute. In Rhode Island there is a 5 year gate keeping process by the court.
The time limit on filing a compensation claim is 2 years from the date of accident or last payment of compensation, whichever is later. As long as they're paying you, you have time to file a comp claim. Your medical benefits have no time limit and are for life. It sounds like you are permanently, totally disabled. Those are lifetime benefits as well. If you are thinking about cashing out, you probably should educate yourself to see if you need a lawyer.
Law Offices of William S. Lindheim | Fred Fong
You asked a very common question. The answer is that there can be no end. If you have filed your claim timely, and you have settled your case by way of a "stipulation with request for award" or if the judge adjudicated your case with life time medical care, then your case can last the rest of your life. For example, if you have a life time award for your injured lower back which requires periodic visits with the doctor and medication refills, then the carrier has to keep this case open for the rest of your life because every time you want to see a doctor and they approve of it, then the carrier has to adjust the treatment request etc. If you have not reached a settlement, then the question will depend on whether you filed a timely claim or not. If the carrier is already adjusting your claim and you did not file a suit before the work. comp. court, then the case still remains open for the rest of your life potentially.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Sounds to me like workers compensation is paying you weekly as if you are permanently and totally disabled . If you want to pursue a lump sum settlement You should meet face to face with a lawyer to discuss .
    Abrams Landau, Ltd.
    Abrams Landau, Ltd. | Douglas Landau
    The short answer is that weekly wage loss benefits can last up to 500 weeks
    Generally Workmens Compensation lasts until you are able to go back to work. Given the fact that you have not been working since 2003 it would appear that your injuries are permanent.
    It isnt how long they can keep you on workers compensation, its how long you can keep on it. Indefinitely.