How long does the ticketing officer have before the ticket becomes void? 7 Answers as of December 27, 2013

My 16 year old was caught at a party drinking with traces of alcohol shown off the breath test. He was not driving. He received a citation. No court date was given on the ticket and no paperwork has been mailed after the ticket. The officer said he would mail it. The ticket was issued on October 26, 2013. When I called the court to see what is happening with the case, they can't give me information because he is a minor. When I go on the "Court admin" web site it says no citation was reported at this time. How long does the ticketing officer have before the ticket becomes void? How long before they set the court dates? My son is in sports. He self reported and is still being punished for it. Another question, when is the high school notified of the ticket and by who? Thanks for your helpful and considerate answers.

12 months.
The high school may not necessarily be notified. Sometimes these cases can take several months before they are filed. It is quite possible that the police officer prepared his report and then sent it on to the prosecutor. The prosecutor is the pone who decides whether or not to file a case and when. It is not the police officer. The prosecutor may issue a decline or he/she may be doing some additional investigation. Technically speaking, the prosecutor may have up to a year to file. Hopefully, you son has learned from this and that there are consequences that follow poor decision making.
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Let sleeping dogs lie.
He is probably being charged as a minor in possession of alcohol or MIP, which is a misdemeanor. They can file the charges anytime as long as it is within the statute of limitations which is six years. Although, I would think a few weeks or a few months would be the most they would wait. That is probably because they would be prioritizing other cases above your son's. The court system should not be contacting the high school with this information, but it is public information and they would be able to find out if they knew to look for it. Make sure your son is represented by experience criminal defense attorney that handles MIP cases.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
The high school won't be notified by the police. The prosecutor has up to 1 year after the date of the incident to file the charge against your son. Depending on which court this is in, it sometimes takes up to 2-3 months before a court date is set. You can check with the court to confirm that they have the correct address to send the court summons to. If your son is charged with MIP (minor in possession), you should hire an attorney to represent your son so he won't have this on his permanent criminal record.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    In Minnesota, the State has 3 years to pursue charges, although it is rare that it takes that much time. I would suggest consulting with a local criminal defense attorney. Many offer free consultations and can give you better guidance after having the chance to sit down and review the facts of the case more in depth.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    There is no date when the ticket becomes void. This won't just go away. Your son needs a lawyer to handle this. I see no reason why the school would be informed or involved in this.