How long does theft stay on your record? 46 Answers as of August 18, 2011

I have a theft charge on my record but it’s been over 10 years. I would like to know can I clear my record because I want to go back to school for dental hygienist?

It stays forever. You can seek an expungement however and then the entire history of your case from arrest to expungements will be listed by the Department of Justice. It is not accessible to the public except for law enforcement and some licensing agencies as well anyone to whom you give permission to look at it.
It stays on your record permanently unless you make an application to get it expunged and they grant it. You should hire an attorney to try to expunge it.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
Forever, unless you expunge your criminal record. For help with expungement, For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
If.it was a misdemeanor.you can have it expunged.
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
You have the option of pursuing an expungement which would remove the conviction from your criminal record. Otherwise, even though it may not be used against you in criminal proceedings after a certain time period, it is likely to remain on your record indefinitely. Our firm handles a large number expungements on a regular basis. If you are interested in pursuing an expungement in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    You need an expungement. I assume you successfully completed probation and that the conviction was for a misdemeanor. If it was a felony, you need to also ask for a reduction. You can actually do this on your own without an attorney but it's obviously better if you have one. I do these motions often. Feel free to contact me.
    In Michigan, an expungement is available for non-excluded offenses after 5 years. There can only be the one offense on your record, and no other misdemeanors or felonies. A petition needs to be filed with the Court where the conviction occurred. Your record has to be run for the Court in the manner proscribed by statute. Contact my office for an appointment should you need assistance in this matter. We can then discuss fees and the procedure. I hope that this was helpful.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    In WA theft 1 is a class B felony and theft 2 is a class C felony. Class B felonies may be expunged after ten years and class C felonies after five years.
    If you never were convicted of the charge, you can get it expunged. In Illinois, if you got a sentence of supervision, you can get that expunged, as well. If you got any other sentence (fine alone, probation or jail time), you will not be able to get it expunged. However, you possibly could get it sealed, where no one will know about it except law enforcement agencies or the courts. Talk to the clerk of the court where you get the case, in order to file the appropriate paperwork.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    In Montana it is a permanent record. There is no way to expunge criminal records in Montana.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    If its been 10 years, you are eligible to have the conviction vacated or expunged.
    A theft conviction will remain on your record indefinitely. That is precisely why seeking aggressive and experienced counsel is necessary before you enter into any plea agreement or proceed to court.
    Records are forever. However, you can consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many convictions can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no felony prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain listed Sexual and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does not clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
    An adult criminal record will remain forever. You could file a motion with the court where the conviction occurred seeking an order of expungement. It must be at least 5 years since the conviction and can only be done if there is only one conviction. It would be up to the Court to determine whether or not to grant the motion.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Forever. You need to retain a law firm of our caliber to represent you in making an application for relief from disability.
    You will have a criminal record forever, there is no way to remove a criminal conviction in New York State. You can still be a dental hygienist with a misdemeanor record. Good Luck.
    Criminal charges will remain on your record forever. You may, however, be eligible to have the conviction expunged or sealed from public view. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding expungement rights in your state.
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    What you need is an expungement and they are more complex than you would think. I would recommend hiring a good criminal attorney and letting them handle it. Most attorneys charge in the range of $500-$1500 for expungements.
    Every state is different. You should talk to attorney in your state. Some states it lasts forever. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice.
    All convictions in Alabama are permanent records.In the past there has been an expungement bill and a non-disclosure bill pending in the Alabama legislature. Contact your local representative and have them push this bill through the Legislature and you may be granted some relief.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    A theft charge will stay on your record indefinitely in Oregon unless you take steps to have the conviction expunged. You will actually need to file a petition to erase the record of arrest and conviction. Contact your local state bar and ask for referrals to attorneys that do expunction. A short phone call with an experienced attorney will be able to determine if you are eligible for expunction and what the costs are for your state.
    It can be expunged as long as you have no other convictions of any kind on your record. Seek out an attorney that does expungements or else you can inquire from a google search on how to do it on your own.
    A criminal conviction will follow you for life. The weight a person put on an old crime will limited, but it all depends on the person who is looking at it.
    It's on there for eternity as far as I know, unless you can get it expunged, which doesn't happen down here in Mobile anymore, or to seek a pardon through the board of pardons and paroles. A lawyer would help in that regard, but the odds are still low. Google their website for the stats, which last time I checked was a 2.5% success rate. Stay well.
    In NY it stays on indefinitely I'm afraid. However, if it was a theft, you may still be able to get into dental school depending upon what age you were at the time. Speak to an attorney about it. Good luck.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    It will stay there forever if you don't get it expunged, but a theft is probably expungeable now. Talk to a lawyer, or find the forms at the county courthouse and file for it yourself. It's not complex.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    There is a specific statute that applies, ORS 137.225. No class A or B felonies can be expunged. Only class C or misdemeanors, unless it is disqualified by statute. Theft cases are generally expungeable if it is a class C felony or less.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    In most jurisdictions, an adult criminal conviction will stay on your record for life unless you apply to have it expunged. An expungement is a request to the court to seal your record. In Oregon, where I practice, your conviction would be eligible for expungement if you haven't had any new convictions since your ten-year old conviction.
    Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
    Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
    You might be able to clear your record, but there are some quick questions that a lawyer would need to ask you to determine your eligibility. Give me a call if you'd like to chat about it!
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    In Washington most criminal charges will stay on your record indefinitely until you take affirmative action to have it removed from your record (not eligible for all charges). You will need to file a motion to vacate your criminal history. Certain requirements must be met before you can do so and the court has its own procedural requirements. Many attorneys offer reasonable rates for this type of representation. Give me a call if you would like more information.
    Criminal convictions stay on your record forever. If it is the only conviction that you have ever had, you might be able to get it erased. There is a statute her in Michigan that allows that. Consult an attorney.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    It depends upon what state you reside in and how the theft came about (plea deal or trial). In Colorado, it will stay in government records. What's available to the public can potentially be "sealed," but whether or not it can be sealed and when depends upon how the conviction came about. You should consult an attorney to seek specific information about your situation.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You should contact a local lawyer. In many states there is a process by which you can clear your record or at least seal if depending on the manner in which the original charge was disposed. For example, in Texas, if you receive a deferred adjudication probation for theft and you successfully complete it, you can later petition the court to seal your record. However, this would not seal it against all views and certainly would not seal it against a view by law enforcement or licensing agencies (which would include those who license dental hygienists.)
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    You can seek an expungement. Otherwise, it will remain on your record.
    Forever unless and until it is expunged.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    Ny does not allow for expungement of criminal records.
    Forever, unless you expunge it through the statute. Call me to discuss.
    The Law Offices of Michael S. Berg
    The Law Offices of Michael S. Berg | Michael Berg
    A theft charge will stay on your record forever unless you take affirmative steps to have your record sealed or expunged. Good luck.
    Are you referring to the "charge" or the "conviction?" If you want to get a conviction expunged, see 1duilawyer.com for more info. I handle expungements for all types of offenses and can talk to you in more detail about the process and what to expect.
    Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
    Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
    Hi, it just depends on the outcome of the case. In Florida, length of time matters for pardons, but not record clearing. To be eligible to remove your record, you must have received a withheld adjudication or have had the charges dropped/dismissed (this may happen after PTI). Plus, no prior record removals and no convictions. If you don't qualify, you may want to consider the pardon process. Please feel free to contact me directly at expungerecordflorida@gmail.com if you have further questions.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If the case ended up being dismissed you can seal it. Otherwise to remove it from your record you need a governors pardon.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    It depends on the class of the theft. This answer cannot be fully answered unless we know what state you are in. Every state has different guidelines for when it can be expunged.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney