How long does a shop have to charge an employee with petty theft? 7 Answers as of June 08, 2015

How long does a business have to file charges against a person? My son stole money from a retail store he worked in, and was caught. It has now been four months. This is his first offense, and we do not know what to expect.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
As long as 2 years.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/8/2015
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
You indicated he was caught but do not indicate whether he was charged. I suggest that he immediately pay restitution.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 6/8/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
They have up to one year if it is charged as a misdemeanor and up to 3 years if it is charged as a felony. If he stole money from his employer, most likely he will be charged with embezzlement, which can be either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the amount of money stolen.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2015
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
The prosecutor has up to 1 year from the date of the incident to decide to file charges against someone for petty theft.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/8/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Up to four years to bring charges. See website for info on retaining the right attorney:
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/8/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    The matter is turned over to the City Prosecutor for consideration in filing the charge(s). The prosecutor's work load determines how quick charges can be made.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/8/2015
    The same statute of limitations for any other theft. Varies from state to state you did not say where you work which state? It would be a year or more. 4 months is not unusual. You should consult with an attorney in your area that handles criminal cases If his record is clean, and if you have an attorney, there is a good chance this will go away with some community service. Many states call this "pre-trial diversion."
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/5/2015
Click to View More Answers: