How long does retail theft <100 stay on your record? 11 Answers as of August 02, 2013

Citation issued no rights were read for retail theft <100 will it go on my record or not? And if it does how long does it stay on?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If you are convicted of a crime it will be on your record forever and can never be expunged in New York State. The police do not have to read you your Miranda Warnings. That is why you should not be a thief, drug dealer, burglar, or commit any crime since even a DWI can keep you from getting a job, a government benefit, an apartment, a visa, entry into Canada, or Section 8 housing. Employers and schools deserve to know if a person is a drug user, thief, sexual predator, drunk driver, etc. since they are liable for your actions. You can always get a Certificate of Relief to help you get certain jobs.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/2/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
As do all charges, they stay on for life. You may have your record sealed but nothing will actually remove a CORI entry once it is on there. You may be able to prevent it from getting on here in the first place and that would be the time to try as hard as you can (hire a good lawyer) to try to do so because once it is on there you are not going to remove it.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/2/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
The charge will go on your record and remain there unless you expunge your record after you have completed your sentence.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/2/2013
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
Any conviction remains for life, but most times won't impact you after about 10 to 15 years. We help people get the matter dropped, but a lot depends on the nature of the crime and your history.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/2/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life. Miranda only has to be read if there is post-arrest interrogation. Most cops are trained to get everything they need out of your mouth "prior" to cuffing you, so Miranda rarely applies.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/2/2013
    Ryan M. Davidson Law Office | Ryan M. Davidson
    If it's your first offense, retail theft is a summary offense. and summary offenses can be expunged after five years of no arrests. A second offense is an M2, a third offense is an M1, and third (or subsequent) offenses or offenses involving firearms or vehicles are F3s. So this will be part of your record for the next five years, after which point if you've kept your nose clean you can petition to have a court expunge the record.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 8/2/2013
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    It stays on your record FOREVER. are not traffic points. You need to get a lawyer and see if something can be done to avoid a conviction. What employer wants to hire a thief?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/2/2013
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    The police don't have to read you your rights. The police can issue a citation or arrest you without reading you your rights. If you are convicted of retail theft under $100, that conviction will remain on your criminal record forever. It can never be expunged (removed) or sealed. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 8/2/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Long time unless sealed.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/2/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    Shoplift, if convicted, or you plead guilty will be a permanent part of your record.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/2/2013
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    If you were convicted of a misdemeanor in New York, your record will not be sealed or expunged.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/2/2013
Click to View More Answers: