How long does the process take for filing for i-130? 7 Answers as of June 27, 2013

I am a green card holder and I would like to file i-130 for my unmarried daughter who lives in Trinidad and Tobago.

The Ghosh Law Group
The Ghosh Law Group | Amy Maitrayee Ghosh
Around 2 to 3 years.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
For unmarried children under 21 years of age of a legal resident, the I-130 process can take around 2-4 years.
Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
Because all of the family based preference (not including the "immediate relative" category, for which there are no quotas) immigrant visa categories are subject to numerical limits (quotas), are oversubscribed, and are backlogged for various undeterminable times, there is really no way of telling how quickly cut-off-dates will advance because there is a serious gap in the information exchanges between the USCIS and the Visa Office, and several other factors that make an accurate determination of the number of cases in the waiting line and educated guess, at best. See the attached October 2012 Visa Bulletin and the attached explanation of the numerical control system. The allocation system is based on country of birth, so your unmarried daughter (if under 21) would now fall under the family based 2A category (if she is over 21 and unmarried, under the family based 2B category). If she marries before you become a naturalized U.S. citizen, any petition that you file under 2A or 2B is automatically revoked because only U.S. citizens can petition for married sons/daughters. The filing date of the I-130 becomes her priority date once the I-130 petition is approved, and she would then have to wait for the Visa Bulletin cut-off-dates to advance under the "all chargeability areas except those listed" column to a date beyond her priority date. Once you secure naturalized U.S. citizenship, the approved 2A or 2B petition could then be upgraded to either immediate relative or family based first preference (if over 21). REQUIRED DISCLAIMER: This information is generalized and should NOT be relied upon as legal advice; and this communication does NOT create a lawyer client relationship. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. Please note this information is general and without our engagement should be taken as informational only. Please also note, that until we are engaged pursuant to an engagement agreement for specific services the attorney-client relationship will not begin.
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
The filing of the I-130 is relatively straightforward, but the wait time for available priority dates is a significant consideration. You can review the Department of State Visa Bulletin for an overview of how long you can anticipate waiting for an available visa. Your daughter may have other options to pursue during the wait time for a current priority date, depending upon the specifics of her situation.
The process is going to be about 4-6 years if your daughter is over the age of 21 and about 3-4 years if she is under 21. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
    For your country, the priority date of September 2004 are current now.
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    A Legal Permanent Resident may file and I-130 for their spouse, minor children, and unmarried children over the age of 21. The approval notice will be sent if you qualify to petition the Beneficiary of the application. However, this does not mean that the visa will be available along with the approval. There is a visa bulletin that will show the availability dates that are based on the country. For minor children from Trinidad Tobago, the current date is June 1, 2010. Those who are unmarried and over the age of 21?are currently at September 15, 2004.