How long does my husband have to get his affairs in order with a Voluntary Departure? 2 Answers as of June 27, 2011

If my husband is granted a voluntary departure from the U.S. will he be released from ICE before he is required to leave? If so, how long does he have to get his affairs in order?

Typically if in a detention center and granted voluntary departure; you will not be released from the detention center; and you will be giving approx. 30 days once granted to sort out travel papers etc.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Judge's order granting voluntary departure will state how much time your husband will have. It is common to get 120 days before merits hearing. If your husband is not detained, he must leave the US on his own before that date or the voluntary departure order becomes removal order. If he is detained, unless he is ordered released on bond, he cannot leave on his own. Instead, he will be taken from the detention facility and put on a plane or bus(depending on where he is being deported).