How long does my girlfriend have to serve jail time? 8 Answers as of August 04, 2011

My girlfriend is in lynwood county jail right now. She got 180 days and her release date is 9/30/11. I want to know does she qualify for half time? The crimes were committed before September 2010 and shes been in custody since 6/10/11. They told me she is more than likely to do 75% of her time because the crime was violent. Now is that 75% of the project release date ? Im so confused please help me thank you.

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
She should do 2/3 of her time if she was convicted of a serious or violent felony, or 120 days on the 180.
She received paper work when she was sentenced. That paper work should say if it would be at 50% or 80%. You should check with her attorney and he should know. You can also contact the jail to find out when her release date will be.
Law Office of Rodney Nosratabadi
Law Office of Rodney Nosratabadi | Rodney Nosratabadi
If the crime is serious or serious and violent, she could do 85% of her total time (because these crimes are considered strikes). Chances are that she will have to serve anywhere between 144 to 153 days in jail.
The release date shown is supposed to have any court approved credits and percentages computed and applied. If credits or rules change, so should the posted date. You can contact or visit the jail to seek clarification of her release date if you think the posted date has an error they need to review. If you actually determine there is an error they refuse to correct, then you could hire an attorney to go to court to seek a court order for correction.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    It all depends on the crimes she was sentenced for and what the sentence was, as well as the sentencing date and any credits she already had built up at the time. If she said it was a crime of violence, then she's probably correct. The expected release date is usually the date the inmate is expected to be released assuming all credits that they are eligible for, are earned. You should be asking her attorney this question. They should be able to give you a good estimate because they would know the necessary details.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    There are two things at play. First, the 1 day credit for 2 days actual. This will mean she is released in 120 days. The second thing is what they call "Baca Time". The jails are overcrowded and getting more so with the transfer of State prisoners to the local county jail systems. It has been my experience that non-violent offenders will serve approximately 10% of their sentence. Violent offenders will serve more time, but not the full 120 days. So she will likely be out in less than 120 days.
    Wallin & Klarich
    Wallin & Klarich | Stephen D. Klarich
    Generally if crime was non-violent and a non-strike your girlfriend will serve 2/3rds of the 180 days. Sometimes in LA County they release early due to over crowded.