How long does my friend have to file a court action in a personal injury case? 5 Answers as of September 07, 2012

After being beaten by police, my friend completed a "Claim for Damages" form and received a rejection letter back. He has six months to file a court action. What is the time line from this point, after filing a court action? Can an extension be filed?

Friend should be hiring an attorney to pursue matter. You file the action, serve it and teh case proceeds through discovery until every body is or should be ready for mediation/trial
Law Office of James L. Miller
Law Office of James L. Miller | James Miller
Once the civil complaint is filed it is a long road until you get to the trial date. When you file the complaint you will receive a CMC date. Some counties set the date the day you file, others send you notification of the date. The CMC date is anywhere from 90-180 days after the complaint is filed. At the CMC you will be given a trial date, which in some counties could as far out as August 2012. The above is the process. I don't know what you mean by extension so I have provided the procedure you will go through. I would highly suggest you contact an attorney to assist you.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
He needs to file within the 6 months from the date of denial. Your friend really should seek legal help.
The Torkzadeh Law Firm
The Torkzadeh Law Firm | Reza Torkzadeh
I suggest your friend immediately speak with an attorney that can properly evaluate the statute of limitations against government entities. There are many complex rules and requirements that must be met. Speak with an attorney who can properly examine the circumstances surrounding the case.