How long does my brother have before being evicted on her girlfriend’s house where he pays the rent? 5 Answers as of February 14, 2014

My brother’s girlfriend wants him to move out the house. The house is in her name but he pays the rent my brother has lived with her for about a year. We would like to know how long before he has to leave?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
She should give him 30 day notice that his tenancy is terminated and then if he does not move she can file a lawsuit to evict him.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/14/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
She would have to serve him with a 30-Day Notice to Quit (leave) and then after the 30 day period expires, she would have to file an unlawful detainer (eviction) action, have him personally served, obtain a judgment against him and a writ of possession requiring him to physically leave the property. It could take anywhere from 60 days to 6 months.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/14/2014
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Girlfriend must provide 30 days written notice to vacate and then commence an eviction. Usually only about 2 weeks before hearing in Court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/14/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Sounds like either 30 or 60 days depending on whether he has been there a year or more.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/14/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
If there is no written lease, she can give him a 30-day notice to quit, and then sue to have him evicted. But does he really want the drama. Why don't you put him up until he finds a new place (or a new girl friend).
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/14/2014
Click to View More Answers: