How long does it take until an immigration application gets reviewed? 6 Answers as of July 18, 2011

My husband sister submitted a application to immigration in 1997 for me and him, and we were approved. How much longer would we have to wait? And what should we do before the time of our application gets reviewed?

A 1997 application should be current for all persons except those born in Mexico or the Philippines. What is your country of birth? Has your Husband's sister and husband kept the National Visa Center advised of their address all these years? If we can be of assistance let me know and contact me as indicated below.
That depends upon the category. Go to www.troylaw.net Click on visa bulletin in the bottom left corner. Open the most recent visa bulletin. Go to the family based chart- fourth preference. Find the box that fits your case. If your I-130 filing date is on or before the date listed, then you are able to file for the green card. If it has been more than one year since you were eligible, this can lead to the I-130 being cancelled. So you really want to look at that now! If you have moved and not told DHS or the National Visa Center then it could be that you received mail and did not receive it.
You need to look at the visa bulletin and under the 4th preference category (sibling petitioning for sibling) see when your visa will be current.
What you need to do is check the visa bulletin periodically to see what priority dates (application dates) they are processing right now. Your visa application will be in category F4 for brothers and sisters of USC. The visa bulletin is found at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html . Good luck!
I am sure you have not been fully informed. In your case nothing will be reviewed again. Unfortunately there are a lot of non lawyers that take advantage of uninformed immigrants. ALWAYS, ask a seasoned immigration attorney to help you. Your case is family 4th category and depending on the country of your birth, priority dates vary for example for the month of July for Mexico they are processing March 1, 1996. Once your priority date is current, and if other conditions are met, you will have to apply for adjustment of status.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    Depends on your country of birth. See the visa bulletin for August 2011. Mexicans with an approved I-130 (filed by an American brother or sister) that was filed before March 8, 1996 can file for adjustment starting August 1. Filipinos with an approved I-130 (filed by an American brother or sister) that was filed before May 15, 1988 can file for adjustment starting August 1. Indians, Chinese and all others with an approved I-130 (filed by an American brother or sister) that was filed before March 8, 1996 can file for adjustment starting August 1. Consult an attorney who will check your admissibility issues (previous deportation, trips in and out the US after period of unlawful presences, criminal history, fraud, etc.) to make sure you qualify. Good luck.