How long does it take to receive an inheritance? 2 Answers as of October 25, 2016

My grandmother passed away 2 years ago. Her estate was handled by a fiduciary and his attorney. Upon my grandmother's passing, the fiduciary said the estate was in probate and my father would receive his inheritance eventually. Over 2 years later, neither the fiduciary nor his attorney will answer our calls. We tried to contact them 2 months ago, the attorney's secretary said they would send my father a check in 2-3 weeks. My father is frustrated and wondering how long it should take. Why aren't they returning our calls? Should we simply hire an attorney of our own to get to the bottom of this?

You probably have something showing the court case no. Use that to go on-line to the court's web-site and check the status. If there has been an order for distribution, you should be receiving your funds. Possible remedies: File a petition with the court, or make a complaint to the State Bar Assn.
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
You should probably hire an attorney to help you. Two years is not unheard of for a probate, but it is not reasonable where the estate is not contested. If there is a probate, then there should be papers on file in the court for the county where your grandmother lived. A review of those papers might be helpful.