How long does it take to rebuild credit after bankruptcy? 2 Answers as of November 12, 2010

About how long will it take me to rebuild my credit after filing for bankruptcy? I am going to try really hard not to put anything on a credit card that I cannot pay off immediately once I can get another credit card. The thing I am worried about is that I had to sell pretty much everything I own, including my car and my house, in the process of paying everything off and surviving until I got another job. Things are better now, I am working again, but I need to move out of my parents house as soon as possible, and I am afraid that no renter will accept me.

Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
In some circumstances filing for bankruptcy can be part of rebuilding your credit.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
You can quickly build up credit after bankruptcy because the creditors know two things about those that have filed bankruptcy: 1) You have a "taste" for credit; and 2) You cannot file bankruptcy again for 8 years.

Keep you eyes on your mailbox and those offers will soon start coming in!