How long does it take to get an I-212 Waiver? 3 Answers as of March 03, 2011

I was charged with possession of marijuana in 2006 and now I have to apply for a 212 waiver in order to get my F1 visa approved. I read that if I was arrested with less than 30 grams of leaf style marijuana, which I was, I should have no problems getting my visa. But how long is the estimated wait for the completion of this process? Can I do anything to speed up this process? Should I get an attorney?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is yes. You have the ability to qualify with an I-212 waiver. However, you will need an attorney to demonstrate that there has been reform in your life, and that you did qualify for the exclusion. If you wish my involvement, feel free to call or e-mail for an interview.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Timing partly depends on what office the Waiver is sent to and what their current processing times are at the time of submittal. It is a 212(d)(3) waiver. For anything as complex as a waiver I would definitely recommend an attorney to make sure you include everything you need to and that it is properly presented and the correct procedures are followed.

I would be happy to consult with you on your case. I do charge for consultations but whatever is paid for the consultation would be a credit toward the fees for your case if you retain us for further work after the consult. The consultation can be scheduled as indicated below by contacting my secretary, Janet, by phone.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You should definitely hire an attorney, period because waiver is not a right, it is privilege give at the discretion of immigration attorneys. You need strong argument for that. You are welcome to give us a call for assistance or contact us at our website. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: