How long does it take to find out whether my mother applied for my brother? 5 Answers as of August 23, 2011

I want to make sure that my mom applied for my brother on green card. He is unmarried and she applied like 1 and 1/2 years ago. I want to make sure, but how long does it take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Your mother or your brother can go to immigration office close to where she lives and ask.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/23/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Your brother or your mother can ask USCIS for a copy of any records that they may have from them. We have to file a FOIA request.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Your mother should have the receipt notice. If she doesn't, then she should file a FOIA to get a copy of her filings.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/3/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Hello and thank you for your inquiry. If your mother does not have the I-797 receipt from the USCIS, then you may be able to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with his or her permission/signatures. You can also track the cashed check she used to pay for the petition.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
the petitioner should have a receipt showing the filing. If she does not the receipt, she should check the canceled check to find out the case number. The length of time will depend on if your mother is a US citizen, varying from 6-9 years.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: