How long does it take to do a patent search by a patent lawyer? 4 Answers as of December 02, 2010

What is the approximate amount of time that it takes to perform a patent search done by a patent lawyer? Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
While this is dependent on the attorney and his workload, a patent search usually takes a few days to a week to complete.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2010
Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
Quick patentability searches ($1500 - $2000) can be done in a day or two. Right to practice, non-infringement, and the very extensive searches required for accelerated examination usually take several weeks because one needs to search foreign and non-patent literature. Those can run $5000 - $10,000, and up.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/22/2010
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC | Deepak Malhotra
It depends on whether you are requesting a keyword search, which can be done quite quickly, or a search sent out to a professional searcher. There are some people who are professional searchers and do nothing else. But they are not lawyers and do not provide analysis or opinions. They will sometimes pull patents that are not very relevant or only somewhat relevant, as they go through patents very quickly. So the attorney has to carefully read what the searcher found and perform an analysis. If it is a more in depth search performed by a professional searcher, I usually quote six weeks (I try to under-promise and over-deliver) but it really depends on how much backlog the searcher has and how much backlog the attorney has.

You can do your own preliminary search using If you do your own search, be sure to write down the patent numbers of anything vaguely close to your invention. This is because you have a duty to submit anything that would be material to examination to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office if you file a patent application.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/19/2010
Ochoa and Associates
Ochoa and Associates | Susan Ochoa Spiering
It varies based on invention idea and what is needed. No simple answer for this question exists.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 11/19/2010
Click to View More Answers: