How long does it take to apply for a green card through marriage? 2 Answers as of October 15, 2010

How long does it take to apply for a green card through marriage? I have been with my girlfriend for over 2 years. We met while she was studying in the states. She is now back home where she has been working for the past year. How long would it take to get her a visa through marriage?

The average amount of time is about 3 months for your I-129 (petition K-1 for fiancee visa) to be approved. Then about 3 months between the K-3 visa to be picked up at the U.S. embassy or consulate, after a scheduled interview at the consulate. If you wish to have my help, especially for the marriage-based visa you have to file for following your fiancee's arrival in the USA, just call or e-mail me to set up a consultation. Best to you both.
If she is currently outside the US, it will be about 9-12 months for her to be able to get an immigrant visa on the basis of marriage. You would have to be married first before petitioning for her. You can also apply for a fiancee for her, if you are a US citizen. That will take about 6-10 months for her to get the visa.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.