How long does it take for someone to get a social security number and work permit? 3 Answers as of June 15, 2011

I'm a us citizen and I'm married to an Ecuadorian who has a visa. At this moment he is in Ecuador, but is planning to come here to the US. I want to start the process of papers for him. How long will it take to get a social security and working permit? His visa is not expired, nor his passport.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Coming to the U.S. with a visitors visa with the intent to marry a U.S. Citizen is visa fraud. That being said, if your case was appropriate for adjustment of status, it would take about 6 weeks to get a work permit and social. Green card after 3 1/2 months approx.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/15/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Petitioning for your spouse from another country can take as much as a year before he gets an immigrant visa to come here. When that happens though, he will get a green card and be eligible for social security and be allowed to work. You should consult with an immigration attorney for better information on the process and help doing it correctly.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/14/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
What kind of a visa does he have? Be careful about having your spouse enter the USA as a tourist. If he is intending to live with you here, he is not a tourist. If you want him to be a permanent resident, then you have to petition for that. Part of the status of permanent residence is permission to work here. A separate work permit is not required. Getting a social security number is a separate process; you apply through the Social Security Administration. If you have the proper documents when you apply, you can walk out of their office with a number while you wait for the card to be mailed to you.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: