How long does it take for a green card holder from originally from Pakistan to bring a spouse to the US? 9 Answers as of January 17, 2011

How long does it take for a greencard holder originally from Pakistan, living in oregon to bring a spouse to the US? The green card was just issued.. What is the fastest way to get this done?Anxiously waiting for your reply.

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You have to file a petition and wait until there's a visa available, which right now is taking about 2 years.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Right now the processing time for green card spouse can be anywhere from 1 year to 2 years, depending on how fast the visa bulletin moves in the next year or so.

It could even be faster if the visa bulletin moves quickly. It would be impossible to predict, but safely I can say about 1.5 years.
You may immediately file an I-130 and this gives her a place in line in the FB-2a category - it will take about six months to adjudicate. Then you need to watch the visa processing in the State Department's Visa Bulletin. This fluctuates widely. In December they were working on cases filed on or before August 1, 2010 but as of January 2011 it has moved backwards to January 1, 2008.

Each month a new Bulletin comes out and you can monitor it here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5212.html

In the meantime explore nonimmigrant options for her to come and be here to wait. If you maintain or get back into H status she can come as an H-4 for example. If you want to consult on these options feel free to contact me at the number indicated below. I do charge for consultations $350 per hour - but monies paid for consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case.
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
As you just received your LPR card, you should consider submitting the I-130 for your spouse to start the process. The wait depends on the availability of visas for LPRs sponsoring their spouses and you should be able to find this on the State Department Bulletin of Visas.The currentvisa available for 2A category is January 1, 2008 approximately 3 years from 2011. Please note that this availability changes every month.
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
At this time it takes about 3 years. The time varies from time to time. You need to file the application at your earliest so that you can wait in line early.
    Were you married at the time your Green Card was granted? If so, you wife could be eligible for an immigrant visa as a derivative beneficiary of the petition through which you got your Green Card. In that case it would take 3 to 6 months for her to immigrant to the U.S.. If you were not married, then you have to petition her by filing an I-130 petition and it will take 2 to 4 years for her to immigrant to the U.S.
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    This question depends on whether the greencard holder was married before or after the greencard was issued. If the marriage took place before approval, the greencard holder can file a follow to join petition and it would probably take about a year in total. If not, then a separate petition must be filed and there is a wait of approximately 3 years at this time.
    Nobody can assure you. The best way to check is to go to www.uscis.gov and check for the proceeding time of the center that covers your area. Good luck!
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    The visa bulletin for January 2011 indicates about 2 years. It used to be about 5 years wait time just a few months ago. File your family petition as soon as possible.